Walk & Talk Therapy (WATT)
is for adult clients interested in exploring alternatives to the traditional in-office, sit down delivery of therapy.
Walk & Talk Therapy is a safe, gentle and effective Individual and Group Therapy method. At Oakridge Counselling it is done outdoors in all four seasons.
About Walk & Talk for Wellness Group.
We are passionate about developing opportunities for people to experience and enjoy the physical and mental health benefits of therapy
in Mother Nature’s Playground.
Who is Walk & Talk Therapy For?
Individual WATT Sessions are for Adults who would like to explore alternate counselling options outside of the traditional indoor, sit down, office setting.
Outdoor WATT Sessions are appropriate if:
- you can physically manage gentle walking for 50 minutes
- your mental health is stable
- you can manage the limitations/challenges/differences in privacy
- you can manage the increased need for boundary setting surrounding confidentiality ie: when seeing someone you know while in session in an outdoor setting
- you want/need to spend less time sitting for your physical health
- you want to learn or to practice new coping skills with your therapist outside of the office
- you think you might benefit from moving your body while managing the intensity of therapeutic work
- you find the sustained face to face and/or eye contact of in office sessions uncomfortable
- you get emotionally triggered or mentally stuck with in office sessions and wonder if you would do better moving and in the outdoor air
- your breath is effected in office sessions and you wonder if your breathing would be more regulated when you are walking
Outdoor WATT Sessions might NOT be appropriate if?
- you have a physical health condition or limitation, an injury, a breathing problem, skin condition, vision problem, vertigo or pain for example, that are worse with movement or when in outdoor conditions
- you are physically unable to do a gentle or slow walk for 50 minutes
- you are doing trauma work in session
- you are worried about getting “too emotional” or crying in a more public setting
- you are starting medication for a mental health condition or another condition and are not sure how you will feel or function on it
- your mental health symptoms are not well managed or stable
- you get distracted outside and might not be able to use the therapy time well outside of the office setting
- you are concerned about seeing someone you know while in an outdoor session and are not able to manage the increased need for boundary setting or decreased privacy
Walk & Talk for Wellness Group
4 week group program
Max. 6 participants
Mondays 10-11 am * April 3-24, 23
Investment $149 per person
Registration Closes Thursday March 30, 23
In the 2019 research study “Adult Clients’ Experience of Walk-and-Talk Therapy”
Denice Crowe Clark’s findings included the following:
“Clients found walk-and-talk equally or more therapeutic than traditional therapy and felt walk-and-talk could be a less stigmatizing therapeutic alternative for individuals who find traditional, indoor therapy unappealing”
Benefits of Time Spent in Nature
- Reduced irritability
- Lowered blood pressure, reduced stress hormones (cortisol)
- Reduced feelings loneliness
- Reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Restored attention and focus
- Increased feelings of calm
- Builds strength and resilience
In-Person Sessions at Springbank Park
(more locations to come)
Distance Sessions = client and therapist walk separately in nature, while together on the phone
In-Person and Distance Sessions
are $160 CAD Per 50 Min Session
Payable by e-transfer 24 hours before the session
A brief no-charge phone/online consultation session is required before Walk & Talk Therapy sessions can be booked because there are some privacy differences in outdoor therapy compared to in-office sessions that need to be reviewed. General health and safety will also be discussed.
Readings on Benefits of Time in Nature
- Walk and Talk: Psychotherapy Therapy Takes a Stroll
- Park Prescriptions
- Benefits of Walk & Talk Therapy
- Mental Health Benefits of Being Outside – Ontario Parks
- How Being in Nature Benefits Your Health
- “Into the Wild” – A Review of Outdoor Therapy
- Nurtured by Nature
- All Trails – Best Trails in London Ontario
One touch of nature makes the whole world kinWilliam Shakespeare
In addition to outdoor Walk & Talk Therapy Elizabeth Lacey offers traditional in office sessions. Elizabeth specializes in women’s health including individual relationship counselling, balancing competing role demands, managing symptoms of anxiety, depression and overwhelm and prioritizing time for self and self care.
Elizabeth offers a FREE 15 minute Phone Consult for all new clients to assess suitability of fit between client and counsellor.
Book your FREE Consult Call Online Now – You’ll be glad you did